Jacksonville in Review

Thursday, January 4, 2007

Daruma Revisited

I was hoping a third time would be a charm...however, having talked so highly of Daruma's in my last post, I thought it best to share the following...

On the negative side...
Being a newly opened restaurant one would expect a variation in service with quality in mind. My last two visits were nearly flawless hence a high expectation on my part. Today, unfortunately, we were taken care of by a waitress very unfamiliar with the service industry. Rather than give a detailed description of each incident, let me just list it out:
  • Took nearly 7 minutes to be addressed after being seated at our table
  • Manager recognized our dilemma and assigned an individual to our table. Upon doing so, the proper waitress took offense to this and verbally brought this to the other girl's attention in front of us. Awkward situation.
  • Had to repeat our drink orders and food orders a total of 3 times. Twice to the same person.
  • Our waitress apologized no less that 20 times to us. I understand she's upset and probably embarrassed at this point...but she just kept going and going.
  • First thing I ordered was a sushi roll. It did not arrive until I was wrapping up the main course. They adjusted my check accordingly, but I was surprised I had to mention my dissatisfaction with this.
  • It took nearly 10 minutes to obtain our check after they removed our plates.
Generally, I'm a very forgiving person when it comes to the service industry. Working for tips is a tough gig. One or two bumps in the road and I just accept it. When you working with 6 strikes against you, it's hard to leave with a good taste in your mouth.

On the positive side...
  • Food was again, outstanding. They have certainly set the bar high in their selection of chefs.
  • The landscaping issue I discussed in my previous post has been addressed. Looks like they were ready for business before the landscaping was finalized. Understandable. The outside surroundings now look very nice.
And as a side note...
In my last post I mentioned the number of tables. I was a little too generous in my estimation. There are 18 cooking tables spread over a very large open area.

All in all I do believe Daruma's will be a successful establishment in this area assuming they make the right employee choices.

Until next time...
-Adam

No comments: