Jacksonville in Review

Monday, January 8, 2007

Review: The Good Shepherd

I realize I'm late to the gate on this one but I did want to offer my two cents just the same. With the recent holiday's, we are far behind on our movie viewing. There are at least 3 other movies I really want to see. Hopefully I'll squeeze them in soon. On with the review...

Movie: The Good Shepherd
Theater: Cinemark Tinsletown
Plot: The birth of the CIA and the story leading up to it.

Okay...first of all, I'm really not sure why all the critics are kissing this movie's ass. Is it a good movie? Sure. Is it a great movie? I don't think so.

Here's my initial gut reaction to the movie as I walked out of the theater:
Ever watch a movie where it's so multi-layered and complex that you get the impression the creators are trying way to hard to be an epic? I think De Niro in his directing attempt here has a good movie but just tries to do far too much with it. Running at nearly 3 hours I also feel 20-30 minutes could have been edited out. At one point roughly 2 hours and 15 minutes in there was a perfect ending point which would have worked...but that was not to be.

Anyway, the point here...I've heard reference that this movie is to the CIA what The Godfather was to the mafia. I just don't see it. Honestly? The Departed was a far better movie if you want something with the dark, mysterious backdrop that yearns to have you trying to figure everything out before your wife does. I love movies that make you think. I love multi layered movies. But The Good Shepherd just pushes you too hard and I think it's easy to lose interest. An hour in and your still waiting for something interesting to happen.

Matt Damon I do believe did an outstanding job with his role. Perhaps award worthy. However, a lot of leading male competition for 2006.

Angelina Jolie, as much as I love her...just "eh". Her role was supportive at best to move the plot along. But this certainly was not a strong performance.

Supporting charecters such as Alec Baldwin, William Hurt, and Rober De Niro were great to see on film...but again, it should appear this hard.

The role of Matt Damon's son in the later years seemed to really be miscast. Not familiar with the actor, but it just didn't fit.

So, in the end...would I recommend this movie? Sure, as long as you understand what you're getting yourself into. Epic? no. Have the proper mindset and you should find this movie interesting at best.

Score: 7 Out of 10

-Adam

No comments: